Thursday, May 10, 2012

I Prayed For Black & Blue



Endless nights I prayed for black and blue.
External signs of the internal beating that bruised my experience of love
gone oh so wrong.

In the end…when I asked you why…
You said it was to make me stronger.
You said it was to make me fight back.
You said it was to make me stand up for myself.
You said it was to make my skin thicker.
You said it was because you loved me…

This Mother’s Day would’ve been my 21st wedding anniversary.
I am thankful that it is not.  Seven years of living in hell were enough.

Today I read through my journals.  Today I will remember. 

I remember so I will never forget.
I remember so I know how far I’ve come and what it means to be free.
I remember so I will see the signs and never be lulled into that darkness again.
I remember because you made me who I am today and am grateful.
I remember and thank you for making me…

Stronger
A fighter and a survivor
Able to stand on my own
Thicker skinned
Most importantly, I thank you for teaching me what love is not…and never should be.
Black & Blue.

-----------------------------------------

This week I walk down memory lane through the shadows of my domestic violence story...the seven years I was married to it and beyond.  Through sharing my story I hope other's will not have to live in a world of fear. Gone is my naïveté...in it's place is hard earned knowledge of a world I did not wish to know.  A world of invisible black and blue.


Kristy

No comments:

Post a Comment